Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Guidance officer


The role of a Guidance Officer can be very diverse and ideally caters for the specific needs of the local school community. Education Queensland provides a Guidance Service to all state schools from Early Childhood Years to Year 12.

Our Guidance Officer, may perform tasks at Kimberley Park including:

  • Providing guidance and counselling service available to all members of the school community including students and their families.

  • Developing, in collaboration with the school personnel, community members and other support personnel, a welfare structure or processes in the school.

  • Providing a counselling service to the school community to assist clients in decision making & problem solving about critical educational, personal, vocational and welfare issues and provide ongoing support during the implementation phase of this process.

  • Providing specialist advice, recommendations and reports about students in areas concerning the nature of disabilities, learning difficulties, developmental levels, psychological and emotional concerns, social development, behaviour, behaviour management and welfare.

  • Administering, interpreting, reporting and assisting in the development of programs based on the psycho-educational development of children and students through the administration of a variety of restricted psycho-educational assessment procedures.

  • Providing one-to-one consultation with Parents and Caregivers in relation to any issues concerning their child’s welfare and educational needs. This may include referrals to outside support agencies, or ongoing parent support.

  • Providing individual or group social skills development programs and/or human relationships education.

  • Encouraging, promoting, mediating and facilitating positive relationships within the school community.

All parents and care givers are encouraged to contact your school if you have any further queries in regards to the Role of a Guidance Officer in your School.

Referrals to the Guidance Officer need to be made through your child’s teacher or through the Principal. Referrals are prioritised through a Special Needs Committee that meets every second week.